How to spot a reprocessed 1943 Steel Penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dalau, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dalau

dalau New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

that's pretty shiny

4. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

That looks like it was reprocessed.

Charlie

5. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

my thoughts exactly...

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Didn't Steel Penny's have an outer shell?

7. SeatedLibLover

SeatedLibLover New Member

and a chewy center?

:mouth:

8. dalau

dalau New Member

hmm..thanks for the insight. what exactly are reprocessed pennies?

edit: are reprocessed pennies worth much?

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Reprocessed means the cent has been replated with zinc to make it shiny again.Unfortunately,this brings the value down to almost nothing.Here is what a run of truly uncirculated coins look like.Notice the lustre patterns,that's the way to tell the difference.Of course there is a possibility that yours was just shined up but it still is worth only a bit above face value.You actually did well to get $3.25 for it in my opinion.
    Here's a good thing to read.
    http://www.usmintquarters.com/steelcents.htm

Attached Files:

10. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

dalau cheated to post his auction in the marketplace, so I've removed the link. However, this thread might be useful to others, as a guide to recognizing reprocessed steel cents, so I'm going to keep the thread live and move it to the discussion section.

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

From it's apparent excellant condition I'd say it was just a cleaned regular cent. Many 1943 steel cents were put away due to being so strange back in the 40's. I put away many rolls of them. My Dad had a gas station back then and many of the coins I picked out of his change looked like yours due to his oily hands. After all these years I occationally open one of those plastic rolls of the 43 cents I have and many are still coated with that oil. They do look something like yours. However, I think yours was just cleaned.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The thickness of the letters is a give away.

Ruben

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Good one Mr.B!
    I never noticed that.If you look at the reverse of the cent and look at the lettering,then go to the link I supplied in my other post and look at the illustration,the letters appear almost twice as thick.Most likely from being over-plated.

Attached Files:

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Mik - I don't see were you posted a reprocessed coin.

Ruben

15. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I was referring to dalau's original photo compared with the one in my last post...sorry.

16. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

From what I've heard the enlargement of lettering may not be from recoating, but from the wearing out of the dies. Remember these are steel and not a soft copper material so that the dies wore out much faster. As they wear out the letters and numbers appear to grow. Regardless of whichever that coin is the price of those coins is to minimal to worry about what caused the shine.

17. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    There is no question that the coin in the 2X2 that is at the start of this thread is a reprocessed cent.
    Have Fun,
    Bill

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Not in this case. In this case it is also too smoth. Layering always smoths a surface like snow on the landscape.

Ruben

19. dalau

dalau New Member

bump.
    see first post in thread

20. 2cents

2cents New Member

I've gained some knowledge now from reading these threads about reprocessed pennies. Maybe I wont get stung again, LOL!!!
    I more thing I was curious about with reprocessed steel pennies:
    Does the edge of the coin give any indications of reprocessing?
    I have a few where the edge is as shiny as the face and back.
    Then in turn I have some with excessively shiny surfaces but the edge is dull.
    Do you think someone would go through the extremes of reprocessing them and scraping the edges?
    Probably anything is possible, someone please give me your input on this. ty

21. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Nothing unusual about the dull edges since that could occur due to storage. If the coins are kept in a roll the edges are exposed more to the elements than the surfaces. The paper of the roll effects the edges but can't get to the surface as redily. Similar reaction is the front and rear coins of paper wrapped rolls. There are many weird things that hapened to these pennies due to being the only ones that were made of steel coated with zinc. As everyone noticed that as they wore the Zinc vanished leaving the steel to start the rusting effect. There were probably some unscrupulous dealers that thought they could reep in a fortune by bulk plating the rusted ones they would pick up for a penny. However, there were some that were electroplated with Zinc or Chome or Tin. Usually done in Chem labs by nutty students like I was. These types are so thinly plated it is difficult to distinquish from the original coating. However, the tell tail of that process is the method of suspension in the solvent. A thin piece of elctrolitic material was placed around the coin and then the electrolosis was started. This would actually leave a dull edge to the coin which appeared as if the coin was kept in a roll. This was done in very small amounts due to not wanting to get caught by a professor.

Draft saved Draft deleted