AU-50, Nope...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Hmmmmm...can you say "VF" NGC.

4. rocketman

rocketman New Member

That might be even lower than VF, i'm thinkin F-15

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

NGC must have one Myopic grader that catches all these coins

6. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Wow ... Just amazing. If our friends at SGS see stuff like this from the so-called top TPG'S they could certainly make a point about the whole grading issue.

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

The coin has a rarity rating of R1 as well. The most common variety...

Bone

8. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Maybe it's from the New Orleans mint, and flatly struck ? :D

9. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I'm baffled! Not only is it an R1 but it well known in high grade, too. There are at least 2 63's, 2 65's and a 67 graded by NGC/PCGS, so it can't be a market grading thing, this coin is just mis graded! Wow!

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No that's not it. It's something I have never agreed with. And NGC is not the only one who practices it. Coins from big name collections are somehow magically assigned grades based on much more lenient grading standards.

I have long said that all of the TPG's overgrade bust coinage, and to some degree seated coinage as well. But when it comes to the big name collections they go even beyond that. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is more than just lenient grading standards, and it isn't a striking issue either. Even with "lenient" standards there is no way this coin should get a 30 point jump. It is just a total mess up.

12. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Looks cleaned as Hell too. Look at the lines in the shield on the eagle's breast, they couldn't get in there to get the "dirt" out.

13. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

I have got to go with VINCENT on this one N.G.C. YOU ARE OUT OF LINE ON THIS ONE.

14. gulfofmex

gulfofmex Senior Member

first thing i thought was WTF! How did that get AU-50. But I guess that "celebrity" anything gets the best, so I wouldn't expect some of the coin grading service to stop at that, I would hope that they would, but they don't

15. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

It's not NGC, it's another hyped-up piece of junk within the Jules Reiver collection. I think NGC has no choice but to assign higher-than-normal grades to these collections which are billed as 'highest quality large collections seen in years' before many coins are even submitted for professional grading. Kinda leaves NGC between a rock and a hard spot. To me, a Jules Reiver label is a sign to watch out for.

Moral of the story: BUY THE COIN, NOT THE HOLDER.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

It is not a coincidence that these same name collections are sold at auction at Heritage and are all slabbed by NGC. You are 100% right GDJMSP, NGC simply gives away higher grades. It borders on fraud if you ask me...Mike

p.s. everybody repeat after me: Buy the coin, not the holder.

17. CoinDude08

CoinDude08 New Member

Another reason I am hesitant to buy slabbed coins....

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you ever spent a sizable amount on a raw coin only to find out later that it was fake or altered - or spent a sizable amount on a genuine raw coin only to find out that the dealer that sold it to you charged you triple what it was actually worth in that condition - you'd be even more hesitant to buy a raw coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted