1917 "Wardrobe Malfunction" Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mikjo0, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I was surprised to find this Type I SLQ lurking in my dealer's showcase today priced at $40 which is right in between the price for Good and Fine.I've been looking for a decent one for a LONG time.
    Personally,I think it's a bit above Fine.What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johndo

johndo New Member

alot of wear on the obverse, to me

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I agree it looks to be F-15/20 or so. These are pretty hard to find in any condition with the date completely showing. (20 may be kinda high but what-the-heck :D)

Nice Coin
    Ben

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Here is an article on how to grade SLQ's...take a look and then tell me what you would grade mine (Hint..click the photos a 2nd time for a better look at details):
    GOOD show a well-worn design with very little detail remaining. The legend and date are weak but visible. The top of the date may be worn flat. The eagle is worn nearly flat but is completely outlined. Lettering and stars are worn but visible.
    VERY GOOD Good has a weak design with most details in the gown worn smooth. Drapery across the breast is outlined. The bottom right star is worn flat. One-third of the eagle's feathers are visible and large feathers at ends of wings are well separated.
    FINE has gown details worn nearly smooth across the body but show at sides. Right leg is nearly flat and toe is worn. Breast is worn but visible. Outer edge of shield is complete. Eagle is evenly worn. 1/2 of the wing feathers are visible but worn in spots
    VERY FINE shows the right leg worn nearly flat in central parts. Wear spots show on head, breast, shield and foot. Beads on outer shield are visible but those close to the breast are very weak. Eagle is lightly worn with most details visible.
    EXTRA FINE shows flat spots on the right leg and knee. Most of the gown line crossing the thigh is learly visible. Shield details are bold with the breast lightly worn but full and rounded. Eagle has flat spots on high points of breast & right wing joint.
    A U shows a trace of wear on high points of head, breast, small shield and right leg above the knee. The eagle shows a trace of wear on edges of wings, breast and tail feathers. Three-quarters of mint luster is still present.
    UNC coins will have no trace of wear but may lack full mint luster and have blemishes. Check for sings of wear at the breast, knee, high points of shield, eagles breast and wings. These coins frequently show weakly struck spots.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's close, they just left out a couple of descriptive phrases. It should read -

Obverse -

VERY FINE - Right leg worn nearly flat in central parts. Wear spots show on head, breast, shield and foot. Beads on outer shield are visible but those close to the breast are very weak. Inner circle of shield is nearly complete on well struck coins.

Reverse - Eagle is lightly worn with most details visible. Breast and edge of right wing are worn flat. Top tail feathers are complete.

When you use the the complete description I think the coin falls just short of the VF grade. I'd day F15.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The whole leg is flat, it won't make VF. Best I'd give it is F-15

8. johndo

johndo New Member

As I said...;)

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

AND...it's exactly what I originally said as well.So the general concensus seems to be...almost but not quite VF.
    Thanks to everyone for the input!:thumb:

10. Dabalzak

Dabalzak Senior Member

I was reading about this coin the other day and decided I would love to have that in my collection.

Congrats on the find. Hope theres another one out there for me someday. :)

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Dabalzak,
    I'm sure you can find one..good luck.
    Here is a 1924 that I think would probably grade VF+ but I'm not sure.I'd probably have to go to ANACS though because I think it's been cleaned.:rolleyes:
    An interesting sidenote...In addition to covering up Miss Liberty,the arrangement of stars on the reverse was changed from 7 stars right,6 stars left to 5 and 5 with three below the eagle,which was bumped up a bit to make room.

Attached Files:

12. Dabalzak

Dabalzak Senior Member

[drool] :cool: [/drool]

<grin> bee you tee fool :) cleaned or not :)

edit: Something I just remembered that I found interesting about the change in 1918 was how the artist seemed to show some attitude about having to change his artwork by putting chainmail on her instead of just the flowing gown. :) Hail Hail to the creative spirit. :)

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I also just noticed that on the 1917,Liberty is holding her olive branch over the "L" in liberty but by 1924,it was moved down to expose the letter.I know that in 1925?,the little date box was made more incuse to stop the wear.Any other changes that you guys know of?
    EDIT:dot in between the One and Dollar dropped
    EDIT#2 In case you wondered what the face,shield,etc. look like with NO wear close up..check this out!

Attached Files:

14. kendo

kendo New Member

IMO I would have to say F-14

15. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

I feel like my Type 1 example is "NG-0" after looking at these pics but I think I may have to break down and figure out the Macro lens on my Digital Rebel before too much longer so I can share and obtain some more learned opinions.

These coins, both Type 1 and 2, are the next on my list to upgrade for the 20th Century Type Set but I feel I have to learn a lot more first. Just looking in my immediate area at SLQs for sale gives me a headache... I keep thinking mine are really worn and then I see examples that seem to be even more worn.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Mikjo:
    Were you being sarcastic about that VF grade? I hope so, Since that is one of the nicest 1924's that I hae seen in a long time, especially outside a slab.
    Nice catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted