Need another set of eyes

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tonylynch, Mar 19, 2005.

1. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Looking for another opinion to see if I'm really seeing what I'm seeing.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Does first 4 of date has another serif than second 4 ?

4. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Second thoughts : Does second 4 over 1 ?

5. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Tony

Im not sure what your seeing, but the crude around the date and mint mark are deceiving in the photo,,

I think I may see a D over something but I cant tell for sure if its crude or not,, I do not see anything significant in the date .

Rick

6. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Rick,

That's why I'm asking, because of the crud, I'm not certain. I do see a slight glint in that area when I turn it in the light. I'm going to try to get an image that shows that. Could just my old eyes (and wishful thinking) playing tricks on me.

Thanks for taking a look.

Tony

P.S. The reason I didn't state what I thought it might be, was to keep from creating a false impression.

7. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Here are a couple more shots. I think this shows the glint I'm seen a bit more closely.

Attached Files:

8. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hi tony

It sure looks like something there, breens lists a known OMM for the 1944-D as a D over S Breen # 2177 with the 2 varieties with the one showing part of the S above the D being the rare of the 2

I hope this helps,, it looks like a winner to me !

Rick

9. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I took the liberty of dinking around with your photo. Looks a lot like a D/D/S to me. Neat!

Attached Files:

10. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Thanks y'all! The fun part is how I acquired it, I plucked it out of the change can for our flight's soda fund when I was rolling coins last week.

Tony

11. Steve E

Steve E New Member

Pretty cool. I can tell you it is not the 44D/S OMM#1 or the 44D/S OMM#2. It appears to be an S, but the shape is different from the listed OMM variety. There is nothing listed in the RPM book that resembles yours. Maybe a new discovery??? :)

12. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

I'm going to send it off to get slabbed and otherwise get looked over. I'll let everyone know what happens. On another note, that got me looking through my other '44 D cents and I came across a D/D. I'll post a pic this afternoon when I get home from work.

Tony

13. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

This thread has turned out to be quite motivating for me. So I'd like to thank Tonylynch right off. You folks talking got me to searching my Wheat backs & I'm quite sure I've come up with a 44 D/S also!!
    I'm pretty sure it's the one Metalman said was the rarer of the two.
    Originally Posted by Metalman
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Quote;
    breens lists a known OMM for the 1944-D as a D over S Breen # 2177 with the 2 varieties with the one showing part of the S above the D being the rare of the 2
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now what I need is a copy of the book Metalman is quoting.
    Do I look for Breens??
    Thanks for the help, Dave

14. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Do a search at Amazon (or any other book site) for Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins.

Tony

15. Steve E

Steve E New Member

knowtracks,

If you want to really get into cherrypicking lincoln cents, then there are 3 books that are an absolute must to help identify varieties.

1. The RPM Book Second Edition: Lincoln Cents by James Wiles, Ph.D
    2. A Quick Reference to the Top Lincoln Cent Die Varieties by Gary Wagnon, Karen Peterson, Kevin Flynn
    3. The Cherrypickers' Guide by Bill Fivaz, NLG & J.T. Stanton, NLG

16. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

THANK YOU Both, I'll check em out!!
    Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted