Minor 1978 Curved Clip + Something Else

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jay4202472000, Apr 24, 2014.

1. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

This is a special find for me. Not only is it a minor clipped planchet, it's also my birth year. Other than the clip, there's something else going on in the throat & cheek area. There's a swatch across the throat (from bottom of beard to collar), that almost looks like a lamination that detached years ago. I don't think that's what it is, but it could be. Each side of this area has a crack. They don't look like die crack, but cracks in the planchet itself. There is also another crack across the cheek that runs all the way, along the bottom of the nose, to the tip. Thanks & comments welcome!

Attached Files:

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'm sure that's not a clip. It looks like someone took nippers to it. Notice the line along the center of the 'clip'.

4. jay4202472000

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Where do you see the Blakesley Effect? It should show at 2 o'clock on the obverse or 4 o'clock on the reverse. I don't see it in any of those locations.

Chris

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like some lamination on his throat but that clip is not right, looks like PMD...

7. jay4202472000

Beside the right, bottom corner of memorial on reverse. There are a couple of dings on the obverse @ 2 o'clock that mask it in the image.

8. jay4202472000

From error-ref.com:

1. The pole opposite the clip often shows a weak or absent rim. This is the "Blakesley" effect.
    Special Note: The "Blakesley" effect is not always seen on coins with authentic curved clips which are LARGE.

2. Design elements bordering the clip often show metal flow -- a smearing and stretching out of the design.

3. The exposed edge of the clip will usually show a "belly line" or "breakaway zone". Half of the exposed edge (upper or lower half) will be grainy and the other half smooth.

4. The rim should fade out and taper toward the clip.

All 4 of these are present so I don't think it's PMD.

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm still not convinced.

Chris

10. jay4202472000

I can see, there is no way I will be able to convince you, but that's cool. I'm not worried about the clip. I have no doubt about the legitimacy of the clip. I would like to pick your brain about the throat & cheek area. Do you think it's directly related to the planchet, or could this be similar to pre chip depressions. If the latter is possible, there should be some nice interior die breaks or die subsidence errors out there somewhere.

11. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Clip is legit. The rim elements dovetail in at the clip and the rim does looks weakly affected on the opposite side. Sometimes, really small clips don't leave all that much for Blakesley Effects. The narrow gap allows forces to be dissipated enough across the coin during rimming not to form one.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I believe that this is an authentic clip but its so minor that I would not expect to see any Blakeslee effect at all.

Bo comment on any possible lamination since the surface simply looks damaged to me.

13. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

A quick question on clips. In trying to determine if a clip is real, would it be reasonable to assume that the clipped area should match up with the arc of another coin of the same denomination?

14. jay4202472000

I think you're right. The more I have looked at it and conversations with some others, I think it was scraped a long time ago & kinda smoothed over a bit.

15. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

no. There are also straight clips. They occur when a planchet is punched out too close to the edge of the strip of coin stock. Here is a good article on straight clips:
    http://www.coinworld.com/voices/straight-clips-worthy-of-closer-study-by-coll.html

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No since the clip occurs "before" the strike and the strike can and often does "distort" the clipped area.

17. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

i've found ~ 5 (mostly) clips in circulation. this looks legit.

18. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It's a legitimate clip. Don't know what the cheek area is about, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted